Alabama school student, sheriff’s deputy taken to hospital after exposure to unknown chemical

Published 2:01 pm Tuesday, February 13, 2024

An Alabama sheriff’s deputy was taken to a hospital Tuesday morning after becoming ill after exposure to a chemical during an investigation at a high school.

Tuesday morning during first period at Smiths Station High School, a school staff member discovered a female student in distress in the bathroom. The staff member immediately alerted the school nurse, administration, and a Lee County School Resource Officer deputy.

The student was taken to the nurse’s office for assessment. The investigation revealed that the student had been using a vape and had become disoriented.

The student’s parents were notified and came to the school to check out the student, who at this point was in stable condition.

Another student was identified as the source of the vape used by the female student. When approached, the student attempted to hide some materials, among which was another vape, the sheriff’s office said.

During the interaction with the second student, the SRO deputy began to experience symptoms associated with chemical substance exposure. The SRO deputy self-applied NARCAN and has been transported to a hospital for assessment.