Alabama Skies: Air Quality Alerts issued for three metros
Published 10:31 pm Thursday, June 8, 2023
Rain chances aren’t the only thing to watch out for Friday across the State of Alabama. A Code Orange Air Quality Alert is in place for three metros, including Huntsville, Birmingham, and Mobile. The Metro Mobile alert includes Baldwin County and the Gulf Coast beaches, stretching towards Pensacola, Florida.
A statement on the air quality follows:
“The Alabama Department of Environmental Management, ADEM, has issued an Air Quality Alert for Mobile and Baldwin Counties for Friday, June 9.
“Under Code Orange conditions, ground level ozone concentrations are expected to reach levels that are unhealthy for sensitive groups. Children and people with asthma are individuals most at risk under
these expected conditions.
“ADEM recommends the following actions during an air quality alert for ozone:
- Conserve electricity and set your air conditioner at a higher temperature.
- Limit driving and combine errands.
- Use the bus or carpool to work.
- Avoid use of gasoline power lawn and garden equipment.
- Refuel cars and trucks after 6 p.m.
- Limit engine idling.
- Use household, workshop, and garden chemicals in ways that keep evaporation to a minimum or try to avoid them when poor air quality is forecast.
- If breathing becomes difficult, move indoors.”
Sunny with a high near 83. Some counties included in a Code Orange Air Quality Alert. Mostly clear overnight with a low of 57.
Mostly cloudy in the morning, then clearing. Some counties included in a Code Orange Air Quality Alert. High of 86. Clear Friday night with a low of 59.
Mostly sunny with a shower possible in the morning. High of 89. Mostly clear overnight with a low of 64.
Increasing clouds with rain and storms in the afternoon. Some areas included in a Code Orange Air Quality Alert. High of 91. Partly cloudy Friday night with a low of 70.